Applications are now open for the 2019 edition of Speciality Drinks' annual cocktail competition: Whisky Cocktail Classic! They are searching for a new classic cocktail with single malt Scotch whisky at its heart – could your creation be it?
- 31/07/2019 to 11/08/2019
Scotch whisky is their passion, and so they are championing its return to the mixing glass. The theme for the Whisky Cocktail Classic 2019 is simple yet complex: single malt Scotch whisky.
AN UNBEATABLE PRIZE
The winner of the cocktail competition will be rewarded with the ultimate whisky experience – a VIP trip to Scotland with Speciality Drinks co-founder Sukhinder Singh, including the chance to create a bespoke batch of whisky bearing your name - the whisky will be released for sale in 2020 as a limited edition.
ACCORDING TO THE EXPERTS
We spoke to Anastatia Miller (Mixellany), Declan McGurk (The Savoy), Ago Perrone (The Connaught) and Brian Silva (Rules Restaurant) about the next big trend in whisky cocktails.
The message was clear:
Classic cocktails are the here and now – simple, versatile, spirit-forward drinks which can be replicated anywhere around the world.
Scotch is where it is at – Scotch whisky is on the up, and the on-trade is crying out for more cocktails using it.
Keep it simple – stick to one particular style or flavour profile, and make your own interpretation of a classic.
There’s some apprehension around using single malt whiskies in cocktails, due to both their bold character and the fashion for drinking them neat – what better theme for you to get your teeth into in 2019?
Last year's winner
Last year’s theme was Peat, with the winning cocktail using Laphroaig 10 Year Old single malt as its base. If you haven’t been down to Discount Suit Company to try one yet, we’d highly recommend you do!
The Black Island by Marc-Antoine Gajlewicz of Discount Suit Company:
50ml Laphroiag 10 Year Old
2.5ml Fernet Branca
2.5ml Brown Cacao Liqueur
HOW TO ENTER
Simply create your whisky cocktail classic, and email a photo and details of the drink to [email protected] by end of day, Sunday 11 August.
THE NITTY GRITTY
- All entries must be received by 11.59pm on Sunday 11th August
- To enter, you must be available for the regional heats on September 2nd (Manchester), 10th (London) or 17th (Bristol) and for the final on October 2nd in London
- Entries must include the recipe, a list of ingredients, and a photograph of the finished drink
- Your cocktail should contain at least 40ml of any Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Selected whisky must not carry an age statement greater than 18 yrs and must be an ongoing release
- The recipe should contain no more than 4 ingredients (excluding garnish and ice)
- No homemade ingredients – all ingredients must be readily available
- Your cocktail must champion the characteristics of the chosen whisky
- If you reach the regional heat, you will have 5 minutes to prepare and present your cocktail, during which time you must explain your choice of whisky, your inspiration behind the drink, and why you think this could be the next classic
For full terms and conditions, please check out our Facebook page. If you have any questions about any of the above, please contact your Account Manager or reply directly to this email.